Middle School Math and Science Teacher
St. Thomas School is seeking a part-time (50%) talented, compassionate, and dynamic Middle School Math and Science Teacher to help us advance our vision of being a recognized leader in early childhood through 8th Grade education. We’re looking for someone who can work effectively independently as well as part of a team. We need a leader who understands best practices in teaching Math and Science and who is passionate about teaching to elementary-school aged children and enhancing student life. If that sounds like you, we’d like to hear from you! Salary is competitive with public and independent schools. STS offers an excellent benefits package, opportunities for professional development, and an extraordinary work environment.
Who We Are
St. Thomas School, a non-sectarian, Preschool through Eighth Grade school, is one of the oldest independent schools on the east side of Lake Washington. St. Thomas School’s educational journey is defined by a cognitively rigorous program with an emphasis on developing character, leadership, and a passion for learning and achievement. Our mission is to develop responsible citizens of a global society. STS is a recognized leader in developing the whole student. Our core values include gratitude, responsibility, respect, courage, integrity, tolerance, compassion, perseverance, and generosity. STS serves over 300 students and boasts a 55,000 sq. ft. LEED Gold certified campus.
Under minimal supervision, provides an optimal math and science classroom learning environment for students in the Fourth and Eighth Grades.
- Develops and implements curriculum and unit plans
- Demonstrates a thorough knowledge of teaching practices and a commitment to teaching within a caring, highly academic environment
- Works with families and communicates in a clear and supportive manner
- Stays abreast of current educational research and best practices
- Coordinates grade-level field trips
- Works in collaboration with the Math and Science Coordinators
- Vigorously engages in his/her own professional development
- Establishes and cultivates community relations by maintaining open and candid dialogue with all of the school’s constituencies
- Is familiar with and complies with all policies and regulations as put forth in the school’s documents
- Since safety and security are everyone’s responsibility, takes all necessary and reasonable precautions to protect students, faculty, staff, equipment, materials and facilities
- Performs other duties as assigned
Required Education & Experience
A Bachelor’s Degree from a four-year college or university in elementary education, math, or science or in combination is required
- Master’s Degree in elementary education, math, or science or in combination is preferred
- 3+ years of combined teaching experience at the 4th and 8th grade level
- Experience teaching math and science
Required Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Strong knowledge in the areas of math and science
- Flexibility and adaptability to meet the needs of the children and program
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to maintain confidential information
- Ability to work efficiently in a Microsoft Windows environment using Microsoft Office, master common automated systems for record keeping, and learn new technology
- Ability to work and communicate well with all levels of faculty and staff
- Ability to work and communicate well with students and their parents
- Ability to lift up to 50 pounds
- Some travel may be required (field trips)
If this sounds like you, please submit an application for employment (available on the STS website), your résumé, and a cover letter explaining why you are interested in this position via email to email@example.com or by mail to St. Thomas School, Attention: Careers, 8300 NE 12th Street, Medina WA, 98039. Thank you for your interest in St. Thomas School.
The position is open until filled. No phone calls please.