Thank you so much for your interest in St. Thomas School. While ultimately, I feel you must experience STS in person, I do hope our website provides you with a glimpse into this extraordinary school. As you begin to explore St. Thomas School, you’ll learn a great deal about what we value and what makes the STS educational journey extraordinary for students, parents, and educators. As you get started, here are some important facts:
- STS encompasses Preschool through 8th Grade (adding 7th Grade in 2012-13 and 8th Grade in 2013-14).
- STS is a private, non-sectarian school designed to meet the needs of high performing, motivated learners and provides a cognitively challenging, engaging environment.
- Enrollment is at an all-time high, demonstrating strong interest in the school and long-term commitment from current families.
- We are celebrating over 60 years in the business of educating young people, making St. Thomas School one of the oldest independent schools on the eastside of Lake Washington.
- An innovative school, STS also has a proud tradition of academic excellence and a commitment to nurturing each child’s character and spirit.
- Unique among schools, each day begins with Chapel, a school-wide gathering focused on world religions, character development, and a sense of belonging.
- The STS educational journey spans Preschool through Eighth Grade – thereby supporting each student’s cognitive, emotional, social, and physical growth during their most critical growth periods.
- Our state-of-the-art campus is aesthetically stunning, and provides unique learning spaces such as a science lab, technology center, media publishing lab, library/multi-media centers, a gym, music room, and four plazas to support collaboration and research.
- STS has been awarded LEED® Gold certification, a public statement of our commitment to reducing energy consumption and our use of environmentally friendly building materials.
- Due to the extraordinary leadership of our students in reducing food waste and introducing food recycling, STS has been certified as a Washington Area Green School.
- STS achieved Energy Star certification from the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency in both 2010 and 2011.
- More than 65% of the faculty hold advanced degrees.
- St. Thomas School graduates are consistently accepted to outstanding independent and public schools where they continue to achieve academic success and demonstrate strong leadership skills.
- Parent involvement in school life is an honored tradition. We know that a healthy, respectful partnership between home and school is a critical element of a solid education.
After taking time to peruse the website, please do not hesitate to contact us with any questions you may have. Under the admissions tab, you will also find information about campus tours, and applying for financial aid. We are here to help you through that process. Choosing a school for your family is only the first step. Please know that once you become a part of the STS community, we are your partners along the entire journey.
Kirk M. Wheeler, Ed.D.
Head of School
“The ‘LEED Certification Mark’ is a registered trademark owned by the U.S. Green Building Council and is used by permission.”