After two years of intense planning, we are on the cusp of launching the 7th Grade program! One of the most exciting elements of the expanded Middle School program is the opportunity to personalize our students’ experiences. Master Classes are designed to capture student interest, marry this with faculty expertise and passion, and allow students to explore a particular topic in unusual depth. Built upon the accelerated academic core of classes, Master Classes capture the spirit of Middle School – exploration and adventure!
Here, then, are the courses that are being offered next school year:
TRIMESTER 1: ART: ABOUT FACE: IDENTITY AND THE SELF-PORTRAIT
The human image has long fascinated us and been a subject of artists in every culture and era. Reflecting the middle schooler’s quest for identity and fresh ways of seeing the world and themselves, 7th Graders in this course will have an unusual study of the human image through portraiture, painting, chalk pastel, and sculpture.
- Create artwork focused on the portrait and the self-portrait across artistic eras and artistic media
- Envision multiple ways of creatively expressing the concept of “personal identity,” inspired by the diversity of expression across art historical eras (ancient times through contemporary period)
- Explore sophisticated artistic techniques in painting, sculpture, and mixed media focused on the theme of portraiture
- Experiment with artistic scope, scale, and intensity using contemporary sources as inspiration (i.e. extremely large portraits, exaggerated expressions)
- Understand the value of embedded themes within portraiture across time
TRIMESTER 2: CREATING 2D ANIMATION STORIES
In this course, 7th Graders will use 2D animation tools, digital photography, and digital storytelling processes to create a complete 2D animated movie of an original story. Students will use Fireworks 8, Microsoft Word, Audacity, and CrazyTalk Animator to produce their 2D Animated Stories.
- Create actors from digital photographs and hand drawn pictures and control every aspect of movement programmatically.
- Create props and costumes from digital photographs, internet resources, and hand-drawn pictures.
- Write an original movie script using industry standards.
- Storyboard a complete movie script.
- Use layers to create proper perspective and allow characters to move realistically on the screen.
- Produce a 2D animation video that includes characters, props, music, titles, and credits
TRIMESTER 3: THEATER: THE ART OF THE STAGE
The stage, whether in wood or stone or celluloid, has been a mirror into which we humans have examined ourselves for thousands of years. In this course, 7th Graders will explore the story of world theater, exploring its historical origins, learning the features of the building across time, while learning the craft of the actor on the stage. Our students will also experience a practical training in theatrical tools.
- Understand the Greek and Roman origins of theater.
- Appreciate the impact of the explosion of drama from Elizabethan theater.
- Examine the paradigm-changing nature of Shakespeare’s work.
- Explore characterization through motivation and conflict.
- Explore space through interacting with objects.
- Write and perform scripts.
- Interpret and develop scenes.
- Analyze and evaluate performances.