The Chapel Planning Committee meets on a monthly basis to review the Chapel program and publish a monthly calendar. We love the idea of forging a stronger connection between home and school around our Chapel conversations and hope this overview will enable you to anticipate questions or comments from your child.
Here are a few reminders and helpful hints:
- Parents are always welcome to attend Chapel. Usually, parents sit in the West transept, but on special occasions (such as a birthday), parents occasionally sit with their child’s class.
- On the first Monday of the month, we call out the names of each child who is having a birthday that month and invite them to come and join in the school-wide birthday song (sung in English and Spanish). This is a long-standing tradition, a unique element of our small, intimate school.
- On Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays, we divide into three Chapels, with the ELC meeting in the ELC plaza, the Middle School in the small chapel, and the EC in the large church.
- The Chapel overview provides insights into ongoing themes, specific lessons, lesson leaders, music, and special occasions. The themes on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday are used to help connect the three divisions, rather than listing specific leaders or lessons since those decisions are made within each of those divisions.
- Keep in mind that the overview is organic. We sometimes change the lesson or the leader a day or two before (or even at the last moment!) in response to how a lesson went the previous day or to meet a last minute challenge.
- Many themes remain from year to year, while the actual lessons change. We love parental involvement, so please do not hesitate to let us know if you have a particular interest in being a part of Chapel either through a lesson, a resource, or music.